Tonight we cut my hair short. I had been wanting to for several years, just to try it out, but I had always chickened out. I had been contemplating going to a hairdresser to ensure I didn't hate what I did to myself, but then I just got the urge tonight. I figure if you can't cut your own hair when you want to then you really are not all that free. So take it as my contribution to freedom.

This is what I looked like pre-chopping.

I did the first cut round. Using some dullish household scissors. They worked.

Here is the first cut. I was a bit more ambitious on one side.

Nick helped do the back part. And the sides. And the top.

Later on

Finally, surveying the damage (as you can see, it was pretty hairy ... har har)

The barber. Obviously an expert in hair design...
I looked into donating the hair to Locks for Love (a charity that accepts donations of hair and makes wigs for underpriviled kids), but my hair was barely long enough (ten inches), pretty unhealthy, and I found out they sell it anyways to buy wigs from better sources (most North American hair is apparently not healthy enough to make good wigs with all the stuff we put in it.) So I'm just going to give them a donation.

2 comments:
'
Wow! you look different- cute, more high energy, boyish, gorgeous! Now the trick is to keep it cut to avoid a scraggly look! You might feel cold at first but then you'll wear a hat or scarf and it will feel lighter. Interestingly, I cut my hair as part of my university graduating "ritual"; I decided that teaching took too much time to want to keep washing my hair and figuring out how to style it each day! Anyway, it grows back fast!
Love, your MUM, Ros
April 2, 2006
ps this isn't an April fool's joke, is it?!!!
nice haircut.
what'w with all the 'freedom' talk?
are you slowly turning into george bush? You've got the right haircut now.
Post a Comment